25 Signs you have the Holy Spirit
An in depth look at 25 signs that definitely say you have received the Holy Spirit and are indwelt by it which is part of the process of being “Born Again” and “Saved”. If you have it, basically you really do not need to ask this question, there will be no doubts in your mind ….you just know and if you have checked, it has been confirmed by scripture. But just in case you do not know or do have doubts, for whatever the reason maybe you got “Saved” by dubious means via a False Preacher , here are the signs that you are indwelt with the Holy Spirit and that it is working in your life. Some of these are from my personal experience and others are mentioned in scripture, some are both. As always check everything against THE WORD!
7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit
We need the Holy Spirit in order to obey and follow Jesus Christ. You receive it by the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is something that cannot be performed by man and is different to a normal Baptism, that is performed by man. These are the 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Wisdom: giving us Grace to see things the way God sees them.
Understanding: the gift of knowing how people are feeling deep down inside
Right Judgement: which way to act in difficult circumstances knowing the difference between right and wrong and good and evil
Courage: this is not freedom from fear but it´s being afraid and still carrying on. Gives the strength to carry on doing what´s right even when people or situations will oppose us
Knowledge: Not just knowing the facts but knowing the meaning behind those facts. This is particularly relevant to the Bible. The ability to see the TRUE meaning of the Word.
Reverence: helps us to understand what is Holy in this world, not just places and buildings but people and not just the obvious but ordinary people
Awe in God´s Presence: seeing the wonder of God´s presence and work all around us in this world and beyond
A video featuring the founder of The Twelve Gates talking about 12 signs you have the Holy Spirit My personal experience.
The 25 signs you have the Holy Spirit
1. God is No1 in your life. You become a servant of God and your everyday thoughts, movements and actions will certainly be a reflection of that. God will be No1, there is no compromise. You may or may not be aware of it, but others especially those close to you will. Instead of focusing on the self you are aware that you become a vessel on this world that he is working through reaching out into the world in a physical form.
2. The Before and After. The differences. Life changes. The Old self and old ways will fall away. The new self will have a different way of seeing things and will have different goals and objectives. The change could be dramatic or it could be slower, each situation is different.
3. The Gifts. Almost all will have Discernment. This is a given and is an essential item in the armoury of a Born Again Christian who has the Holy Spirit. The others will be one or some or maybe all of the following: Teaching, Preaching, Prophecy, Healing, Speaking in Tongues. One thing you will receive regardless is you will not be afraid of death!
4. The deeper understanding of the Word. You will live your life by Scripture as in the Bible and the words contained within it will leap off the page. You will see beyond their surface 2 dimensional meaning that everybody sees, but also their hidden meaning, a third dimension to the Bible that is hidden from most, but is shown to those who are meant to understand. This will reveal itself to those who have the Spirit and from deeper study including cross referencing rather than reading the Bible like a novel.
5. Spirit knows spirit. You will recognise others who have the Spirit and they will recognise you. You will come to realise there are not as many around as many people think and it will be like meeting a close family member who you have not seen in decades.
6. The Fruits of the Spirit. Patience, Love, Understanding, Joy, Peace, Humbleness, Meekness, Caring , Wisdom. You are a Giver rather than a Receiver……………….
7. A greater Understanding of how God works and how he communicates. He doesn’t work and think like us, his ways are different. We are of the flesh, he is of the Spirit. When you are indwelt by the Holy Spirit you will bridge that divide. You will experience bizarre forms of communication but you will always know where it is from as it will always check out with Scripture.
8. Circumcised heart. You feel the pain and suffering of others. You will find it hard to walk past someone living on the streets without at least acknowledging them. You will cry or even weep more than you did before and sometimes over the most extraordinary things. A circumcised heart is mentioned in the Old and New Testament
9. Feeling of deep peace. An inner peace you have never felt before that will make itself known in your outer appearance accompanied by a sound mind.
10. The craving for worldly material things becomes minimal or non existent. There will be not the slightest interest in the latest Samsung S7 or the Iphone equivalent. You learn to not buy the latest technological gizmo and buy something that´s not so cutting edge, but was a year or so ago and “does the job”. That will be your mentality with everything. You will be concerned with “storing treasure in heaven” and the world is concerned with “storing treasure here on earth”. That is a big indicator that you are indeed indwelt with the Holy Spirit.
11. You sin considerably less. You will still sin, but you feel so bad afterwards that any sin you do, you immediately repent. Always. The spirit will control the flesh rather than the other way round.
12. You will have a presence, something that people can’t put their finger on but they will be aware of. Not something you will notice… but others will.
13. The problems of the world will seem more acute. You will look at people in a different way and the world and it´s problems will seem more prominent than you noticed before and this could have powerful ramifications in your life maybe bringing about a career change or setting up a charity.
14. You will argue much less. Not trying to win an argument or have the last word……….those are things of the world you learn to rise above.
15. Righteousness will be strong and the urge to shine your light into the darkness and expose it will be strong also. The urge to seek the truth will also be strong.
16. A sense of freedom but also a sense of separation from the world and an understanding that you live in the world but cannot be part of it. Your goals are spiritual and striving towards holiness, most other people are caught up in the “rat race” and concerned with striving toward worldly goals. The two are at odds with each other and it will become painfully apparent the further you go down that narrow way spiritual journey.
17. Strange things will happen, you will see strange things, signs and wonders and come across what can only be described as “not your normal everyday people”.
18. Persecution. People will try to drag you down or worse for your obvious obedience to God but you will continue to follow the Lord even if you suffer affliction or persecution for doing so, even death. The Holy Spirit will give you an utterly unshakable faith to endure such scenarios.
19. Fellowship. You will seek the fellowship of other people that are like yourself, because you realise the things you do and say and the things you see will make most people feel uncomfortable, therefore fellowship with Christians who are like yourself is desirable and essential.
20. The inability to blaspheme. You will be aware that you no longer swear or blaspheme especially against the Holy Spirit. If you are indwelt with the Holy Spirit you cannot blaspheme, it cannot be done.
21. Avoidance of mind altering substances: You will probably either reduce alcohol intake or avoid it all together, drugs and narcotics will be avoided also and if you were a smoker you may again cut down or maybe think about quitting.
22. Awareness that your body is a temple: If you were a junk food eater, you will again cut down or avoid such food or even lose the taste for it. You will be distinctly aware that to approach holiness your body and mind must be as pure as possible.
23. Evangelism: You will be driven to spread and share the Word in any shape or form. Those who are vaguely interested will have questions and will seek you out and be drawn to you, looking for life answers without even knowing that you are a Christian. Basically you will walk as Jesus walked, another proof that you are indwelt by The Holy Spirit!
24. Prayer and Worship. Worship: You will have an overpowering urge to worship and praise The Lord on at least a daily basis, even multiple times during the day. Prayer life: You see the Lord both inspiring you to pray for certain things or people and answering your prayers. You will have a personal relationship with the Lord, one that cannot be replaced by any man made service saying pre-scripted words.
25. Fear of the Lord: You may be a Servant of God but you are also aware of an overpowering fear of him if you do not follow his statutes, commandments and laws that are there for good reason, but you are also aware he always gives warning when you are straying from “the narrow way”
Bible Quotes: (KJV)
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
2: Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
3: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23. Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
1 Corinthians 12:7-11
7. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9. To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10. To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11. But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
8. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9. Not of works, lest any man should boast.
6. And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.
1. If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
19. Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
12. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
2 Timothy 2:21
If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.
7. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.