Increasing Tornado Outbreaks in 2017 and Tornadoes in the Bible?
With the recent Tornado Outbreaks in the US causing extensive damage and loss of life late January and Early February this year, this article takes a closer look at what Science has to say about these recent events and also what the Bible says about Tornadoes and even if they are they mentioned at all? Do Tornadoes form part of End Times Prophecy? Does science have the answer for the recent rise in multiple tornadoes known as tornado clusters that have been occurring in the US, or is it just business as usual in Tornado Alley?
Tornadoes happen all the time especially in the US. 75% of global Tornadoes occur in America many in the infamous Tornado Alley! What becomes a concern is when headlines appear of increasing tornado outbreaks and when New Orleans experienced it’s first EF3 tornado, the FIRST EVER in the history of the city since records began, this is when you have to sit up and take notice.
Tornadoes do have a Biblical quality about them, how they arrive, leave a trail of destruction then leave just as quick as they came and leave mysteries behind such as why 1 house out of hundreds that was in it’s path remains untouched not affected in the slightest?
Scientists and Meteorologists don’t seem to have any answers as to why Tornadoes are starting to show increasing signs of clustering. There doesn’t seem to be any explanation why this recent rise in Tornado clusters is taking place. The actual number of Tornadoes on a yearly basis is remaining stable per year but they are showing an increased tendency towards clustering or what I call swarming where many will touch down over a large area and spread over more than just a couple of hours, more likely running into days or several days.
Here’s some facts from recent events and headlines over in the US that have showed that tornadoes are starting to show an increased tendency towards becoming Tornado Clusters
But what is a Tornado? Here’s the dictionary definition
noun, plural tornadoes, tornadoes.
a localized, violently destructive windstorm occurring over land, especially in the US Middle West, and characterized by a long, funnel-shaped cloud extending toward the ground and made visible by condensation and debris.
And what is a Tornado Cluster?
Tornado clusters are outbreaks of twisters that span several days. One terrifying example is the April 25-28 outbreak in 2011, when some 350 tornadoes ripped across the south-central United States, killing more than 300 people.
Michael Tippett an associate professor of applied physics and applied mathematics at Columbia University had this to say about the increase in Tornado Outbreaks commonly known as Tornado Clusters
“Either the recent increases are not due to a warming climate, or a warming climate has implications for tornado activity that we don’t understand,”
Part 2 Tornado Outbreaks 2017 Stats and Photos. Tornadoes in the Bible and Bible Prophecy
The three mainstream reasons that are being touted are listed below:
1. The World Climate is Changing and is affecting Tornado activity via Global Warming or El Nino or whatever other theory is out there at present
2. New Technology has made it easier to track tornado activity than in the past.
3. With the increasing global population, people are now moving into more remote areas where Tornado activity is prevalent hence the increased exposure to them.
The problem with these three theories is, if global warming is affecting tornadoes it would also affect the number with an increase being shown in yearly numbers. The number of tornadoes per year though have been pretty consistent going back as far as the 1950’s? If new technology makes it easier to track tornado activity, again, there has been no corresponding increase in the number of tornadoes on a yearly basis? Read the same for Point 3.
The problem is not the number or even the individual intensity, but the swarming activity, forming clusters that can last at least a day or even several days causing massive devastation and loss of life far higher than is associated with a normal tornado storm.
Tornadoes and the Bible
Like many things in the Bible, God always warns with signs. God uses weather and other events such as Natural Disasters and occurrences in the Cosmos to try to get people’s attention. God’s intention is not to harm people….. but to warn and get them to turn to him.
Tornadoes are not directly mentioned in the King James Version of the Bible (either KJV or NKJV) but are mentioned in other versions of the Bible such as The Message Bible. In versions such as the King James Version, Tornadoes are referenced as Whirlwinds which is basically another name for a Tornado.
One of the famous verses is from Nahum 1:3 A prophecy concerning Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum the Elkoshite. The Lord’s Anger Against Nineveh
The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
A hint that the Lord is everywhere and controls the elements and is actually part of the elements.
Another famous Bible verse is when God confronts Job out of a whirlwind and severely lectures him and gives him a long list of things of the world (spreading over a number of chapters) that he understands and has control over whereas Job does not.
Job 38:1-2 The Lord Reveals His Omnipotence to Job
1. Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
2. Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge
Bible quotes where Tornadoes are mentioned as whirlwinds in the KJV either as actual events or future events that will form Bible Prophecy.
Amos 1:13-14 Judgement to the Children of Ammon which lay to the East of Jordan
13. Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of the children of Ammon, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have ripped up the women with child of Gilead, that they might enlarge their border:
14. But I will kindle a fire in the wall of Rabbah, and it shall devour the palaces thereof, with shouting in the day of battle, with a tempest in the day of the whirlwind:
Before your pots can feel the thorns, he shall take them away as with a whirlwind, both living, and in his wrath.
As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation.
Zechariah 7:14 God’s judgements upon Israel of old for their sins, were written to warn Christians.
But I scattered them with a whirlwind among all the nations whom they knew not. Thus the land was desolate after them, that no man passed through nor returned: for they laid the pleasant land desolate.
Hosea 13:15-16, Judgement on the Ephraim and Samaria. Prophecy Fulfilled
15. Though he be fruitful among his brethren, an east wind shall come, the wind of the LORD shall come up from the wilderness, and his spring shall become dry, and his fountain shall be dried up: he shall spoil the treasure of all pleasant vessels.
16. Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.
16. Thou shalt fan them, and the wind shall carry them away, and the whirlwind shall scatter them: and thou shalt rejoice in the LORD, and shalt glory in the Holy One of Israel.
The verses below taken from Hosea 8 are referring to the descendents of Israel, including Ephraim and Samaria
6. For from Israel was it also: the workman made it; therefore it is not God: but the calf of Samaria shall be broken in pieces.
7. For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.
8. Israel is swallowed up: now shall they be among the Gentiles as a vessel wherein is no pleasure.
9. For they are gone up to Assyria, a wild ass alone by himself: Ephraim hath hired lovers.
19. Behold, a whirlwind of the LORD is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked.
20. The anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly.
23. Behold, the whirlwind of the LORD goeth forth with fury, a continuing whirlwind: it shall fall with pain upon the head of the wicked.
24. The fierce anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have done it, and until he have performed the intents of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it.
Thou shalt be visited of the LORD of hosts with thunder, and with earthquake, and great noise, with storm and tempest, and the flame of devouring fire.
23. That bringeth the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity.
24. Yea, they shall not be planted; yea, they shall not be sown: yea, their stock shall not take root in the earth: and he shall also blow upon them, and they shall wither, and the whirlwind shall take them away as stubble.
Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, evil shall go forth from nation to nation, and a great whirlwind shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth.
Behold, the whirlwind of the LORD goeth forth with fury, a continuing whirlwind: it shall fall with pain upon the head of the wicked.
Tornadoes as can be seen above are mentioned many times as whirlwinds in the Bible but with regards to Revelation Prophecy, they are not directly mentioned in the Book of Revelation, but prophets in the Old Testament especially Jeremiah (as noted above) does mention that in the last days there will be tornadoes in some shape or form mentioned as whirlwinds. Sometimes these storms are mentioned as Tempests and can refer to something like a Hurricane such as Hurricane Matthew which is a much larger storm but with similar tendencies and nature to a tornado although when forms at sea whilst the other other forms on land.
Although tornadoes are a form of judgement and a sign, the signs that we should be focusing on in these end times should be, as mentioned many times before, the Middle East, Israel and more to the point developments in Jerusalem especially the Building of the Third Temple and The Abomination of Desolation (if we are still here). Those are key amongst others such as The Seals in Revelation.
Finally something to think about. A Bible survived a tornado and was found undamaged in the rubble of a house damaged after a tornado strike in Oklahoma which was strangely open at Isaiah 32 which contains the following verse amongst others:
And a man shall be as an hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest; as rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land.
Food for thought!
Other Bible Quotes mentioning Tornadoes as Whirlwinds (KJV)
2 Kings 2:1
And it came to pass, when the LORD would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.
2 Kings 2:11
And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
Out of the south cometh the whirlwind: and cold out of the north.
Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
Whose arrows are sharp, and all their bows bent, their horses’ hoofs shall be counted like flint, and their wheels like a whirlwind:
The nations shall rush like the rushing of many waters: but God shall rebuke them, and they shall flee far off, and shall be chased as the chaff of the mountains before the wind, and like a rolling thing before the whirlwind.
The burden of the desert of the sea. As whirlwinds in the south pass through; so it cometh from the desert, from a terrible land.
Thou shalt fan them, and the wind shall carry them away, and the whirlwind shall scatter them: and thou shalt rejoice in the LORD, and shalt glory in the Holy One of Israel.
For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
Behold, he shall come up as clouds, and his chariots shall be as a whirlwind: his horses are swifter than eagles. Woe unto us! for we are spoiled.
And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.
And at the time of the end shall the king of the south push at him: and the king of the north shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, and with horsemen, and with many ships; and he shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over.
But I will kindle a fire in the wall of Rabbah, and it shall devour the palaces thereof, with shouting in the day of battle, with a tempest in the day of the whirlwind:
Thou didst strike through with his staves the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: their rejoicing was as to devour the poor secretly.
And the LORD shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning: and the Lord GOD shall blow the trumpet, and shall go with whirlwinds of the south.
Recommended Videos over at The Twelve Gates You Tube
Tornado Outbreaks 2017. Are Tornado Clusters increasing? Part 1 Intro
Tornadoes in the Bible and Tornado News 2017. Part 2 Stats and Bible Prophecy Analysis
The Coming Magnetic Pole Shift and Earth Axis Tilt mentioned in Bible Prophecy?
Tornado Storms, Waterspouts, Tornadoes Up Close and Survival Stories